LET'S DISCUSS THE RESULTS OF YOUR OBSERVATION!

Comparing Brochures

Comparing Brochures

by Firdah Lia -
Number of replies: 10

1. First Brochure used descriptive language. The diction of the sentences were not complicated that makes the tourist easy to understand the information there. A lot of cultural terms used in the brochure. 

2. Second Brochure used a short description sentences. There was no cultural terms included. There is no persuasive language.

3. Third Brochure used a short and compact sentences in order to summarize the information. The diction that was used in brochure much complicated to be understood. It used persuasive language.

4. Fourth Brochure contained the information of 4 attractions, there was also the accomodations. The diction which was used not complicated as third brochure used. The language which was used monotonous and there was no persuasive languange.

In reply to Firdah Lia

Re: Comparing Brochures

by diannisa kuncoro -

As we see in the fourth brochure where the fourth brochure explains more than one place. Is it okay if in one brochure explain more than one place?

In reply to diannisa kuncoro

by Firdah Lia -
As I know, brochure especially tourism promotion brochure must contain the information that makes easier the reader to find the attractions served in certain places. So, I think it's okay to call it brochure as it can be acceptable in society.
In reply to Firdah Lia

by Lilis Setyowati -

According to you,  how is the use of language style in Indonesian brochures compared to western language brochure styles. because, i think Indonesian brochures use a lot of mixed languages  for example they used Indonesian language, English , Ethnic language.                                                            

In reply to Lilis Setyowati

by Firdah Lia -

In my opinion, either language style of Indonesian or Western brochure has not any rules. Indonesian brochures tend to use vary languages, some words may not be able to be saying in Indonesian word so it has to be said in other languages to prevent the missunderstanding of words or terms. Meanwhile, Western brochure is unlike Indonesia brochure that using many culture terms. It is not using many culture terms so the using of mixed language in brochure is less than Indonesian brochure. 

In reply to Firdah Lia

by Szahara Gita -
Is using cultural terms could make a confusion to the reader? Because not all of them know about that. What do you think? 
In reply to Szahara Gita

by Kalista Diah Tantri -

in my opinion, using cultural terms in a brochure is acceptable as long as we include an explanation on the said terms. That way, the reader would not only understand the cultural terms but also learn new things. 

In reply to Kalista Diah Tantri

by Firdah Lia -

Okay, I think your opinion is such a good to be kept. I also think if the target reader will get a new knowledge about other cultures outside. Thank you Kalista for adding your opinion in my answer column.

In reply to Kalista Diah Tantri

by Ardianna Nuraeni -

But, we also need to consider the media where to put the translation. Do you think is it ok to use explanation strategy in leaflet or brochure to explain the untranslatable cultural terms?

In reply to Szahara Gita

by Firdah Lia -
I think using cultural terms are not confusing at all, because when cultural terms written in a brochure, it will be added a brief information to make the reader more understand with the meaning of culture itself. It can be classified into amplification tactics.
In reply to Szahara Gita

by Ardianna Nuraeni -

That is why we need to be able to choose which terms that should be translated and which ones that should be maintained in the Source Language.